Welcome to World Footy News Sunday, June 13 2021 @ 05:42 am ACST

Buffaloes Lock Horns With Saints In Thriller – NTFL Round Two

  • Monday, October 19 2015 @ 11:47 pm ACDT
  • Contributed by:
  • Views: 1,256
The ladder after the second round of the NTFL season sees two teams undefeated (Southern Districts and Wanderers), two teams winless (Buffaloes and Tiwi Bombers) and St Mary’s in the somewhat unusual landscape of fifth place. But as clinical as leader positions can be, they don’t tell the story of the matches played to get there. Round two was a case in point as the fans were treated to thrillers, seesaws and a hiding for good measure.

The round kicked off with the Nightcliff Tigers taking on the Tiwi Bombers. Nothing in the game at quarter time became a useful three goal lead to the Tigers by the main break. Then the Tiwi boys unleashed a willowing third quarter to kick nine goals and take total control of the match. Being 23 points up at the final change, the Bombers should have put this away, but Nightcliff then powered home with nine goals of their own in the final quarter to win by the same half time margin – 18 points. In an amazing statistical anomaly, both teams kicked eleven goals seven for the second half, built around two opposing quarters of dominance.

Final Score: Nightcliff Tigers 20 16 136 d Tiwi Bombers 18 10 118

Wanderers kept their post-premiership momentum going with a convincing 50 point win over the Waratah crew. Without ever racing away with the game, Wanderers just played a by the numbers contest to win each quarter and gradually increase their lead. The result doesn’t give credit to Waratah which fought all day, never letting Wanderers have things completely their own way. But, in the end, Wanderers were simply too good and did what they needed to do.

Final Score: Wanderers 13 11 89 d Waratah 6 3 39

The match of the round was the late game at TIO Stadium. On paper, and recent meetings, this game was all St Mary’s. But Buffaloes simply wouldn’t lay down. Leading by six points at quarter time and drawing away to a 13 point half time lead it was suspected that Saints would simply overpower Buffaloes in the second half. But Buffaloes lowered their heads and locked horns with St Marys to bring the ball game back to a three point lead to Saints at the final break. Buffaloes then threw everything at Saints to snatch the lead before saints fell over the line to win by just a single point.

Final Score: St Mary’s 10 7 67 d Buffaloes 10 6 66

In the Sunday game at Norbuilt Oval, Southern District got away to a four goal lead against the Palmerston Magpies by quarter time, and that is effectively where the game stayed. Both teams surged and counter surged their way through the match with the Crocs leading by 18 points at half time and 22 points at three quarter time. The last quarter remained tight before the Crocs held out for a 22 point win.

Final Score: Southern District Crocs 14 15 99 d Palmerston Magpies 11 11 77

Next week’s round will see the Tiwi Bombers in front of their home crowd at Wurrumiyanga on Bathurst Island against St Mary’s. Buffaloes will play Wanderers in the first stage of the double header at TIO Stadium, followed by Waratah against Southern District. In the Sunday game the Palmerston Magpies will take on the Nightcliff Tigers.