The AFL today wrote to all clubs to confirm the trial rules that will be used as part of the 2011 NAB Cup competition.
AFL General Manager Football Operations Adrian Anderson said the AFL would continue to use the NAB Cup as an opportunity for the AFL to examine potential rule options, after a number of recent successful trials including the revised ruck rule at centre bounces, the altered advantage rule and the player substitute rule and the rushed behind rule – all of which have since become part of the premiership season and the Laws of the Game.
Mr Anderson said the AFL would trial four rule options across the month-long pre-season competition, along with one option that would be used in round one of matches only. Each rule to be trialled is as follows:
The USAFL makes the claim that they hold the "biggest Australian Football tournament anywhere in the world". This could be set to be challenged by a new pre-season tournament to be held in Ballarat in Australia. Of course USFooty has the runs on the board and is a set annual fixture.
This inaugural tournament titled the "Aussie Rules Club Classic" will be a “Festival of Football” over a three day weekend played under a round robin format. The tournament is presented by Initiative Marketing and the City of Ballarat and is a pre-season competition supported by AFL VIC, giving metropolitan and country clubs/teams the opportunity to play against clubs/teams from a range of associations and leagues across Victoria. The tournament dates are March 18-20, 2011.
Such a tournament might be ideal in future years for strong international teams to compete against Australian clubs. Clubs such as New Zealand's University Blues or the USA's Denver Bulldogs come to mind as two of many we would like to see in such a format. At this stage though the tournament is only open to Victorian teams.
The AFL has announced a restructure of Victorian football as part of building a stronger national organization designed to support and grow the game at all levels.
AFL CEO Andrew Demetriou said former Essendon chief executive Peter Jackson had been appointed executive chair of a new entity, AFL Victoria Ltd., to manage the AFL’s investment in the development of the game in Victoria.
Under the restructure, the new entity will become directly aligned with the AFL. Mr Demetriou said the restructure would allow the AFL to more effectively support the game in Victoria as it has with AFL Queensland and AFL NSW/ACT.
After years of debate as to whether winning the FIFA soccer World Cup would damage Australian football in Australia, diverting funding, attention and prestige, the issue has been instantly rendered null and void until at least 2026 (or longer if the bidding rules remain the same). FIFA delegates gathered in Zurich to cast their votes for 2018 and 2022 and the winners were Russia and Qatar. Neither bid was widely considered kindly, although Qatar was a favourite amongst some betting agencies, but at the end of the day the voting is not necessarily about which bid is best for the sport, rather it is about convincing a small group of generally elderly men who possibly have a diverse set of motivations.
It will be interesting to see if the anti-AFL recriminations begin, with the AFL blamed for delays in securing stadia agreements, and also whether there is a knee-jerk government reaction declaring that Australia will immediately bid again for 2026. With the giant China looming, if they wish to host in 2026 then that could block out Australia for the next 30 years, depending on the ever changing FIFA rules. As pointed out to this author in comments below, current rules prevent the same region hosting in the next 2 periods (I knew that) and Qatar is in the Asian confederation (I didn't know that). So perhaps 2034 is the earliest, and if China got that, then 2046.
Perhaps Australian football would have managed to showcase Aussie Rules to the world during a hosted soccer World Cup, but rather than an opportunity lost one can't help but to think that a far greater risk to the sport has been averted. Let's hope the recriminations are not too strong and for our part, those that were not keen on Australia hosting soccer's biggest event need to moderate our relief, being sensitive to the many Australians who had their heart set on a different outcome.
AFL chief Andrew Demetriou has confirmed that the League Commission is seriously investigating playing AFL regular season matches outside Australia for the first time.
The announcement was made at the AFL industry conference held on the Gold Coast in mid-November.
Cities mentioned by Mr Demetriou as potential hosts were Mumbai, Los Angeles and Shanghai, with mention also made of plans by Melbourne FC to repeat their Shanghai exhibition match experiment after the 2011 AFL season.
Since we released our statistically based World Rankings, applying from 8th August 2010, scheduled internationals due to be added were the senior Oceania Cup series, which unfortunately fell through. It was replaced with the Pacific Cup, a set of 3 matches between New Zealand and Tonga. Those games were 18-a-side, with 6 interchange, 20 minute quarters.
We've updated our rankings. However, since NZ is highly ranked and Tonga is new with a low starting rank, their points separation means NZ had nothing to gain and Tonga lost nothing by going down in the matches. So the only change to our rankings is that Tonga now have 3 eligible matches on the board, with 8 required to be fully ranked.
The official launch of the new name and colours of Team GWS occurred on Tuesday night. To be called the GWS Giants, they enter the new NEAFL in 2011 and the full AFL in 2012, with a sneak peek in the 2011 NAB Cup pre-season competition. Here is a look at their promo video, which heavily features star Rugby League convert Israel Folau and the multicultural nature of Greater Western Sydney.
The Port Adelaide Football Club was one of the strongest SANFL clubs for a century, but by the 1950s they came to dominate in premierships, supporter base and influence. Through the 1980s and 1990s the club seemed to have their way even more, playing their tough style of football that some followers would argue escaped sanction too often as their brutal style won flag after flag. Supporters bragged that they would do the same in the AFL if given the chance.
The one critical decision that went against the Magpies was when they tried to go against an agreement with the SANFL and join the AFL, whereas the SANFL had long pushed for a more equitable national competition with the support of its clubs. The move forced the South Australian hand and saw court action and the formation of the Adelaide Crows.
With AFL competition in the city from 1991, the local league took a back seat, then from the 1997 season the AFL granted a second licence to the state. After various submissions and a strong public push to not reward Port Adelaide the proud club once again won out, becoming SA's second side. But what occurred was a Jekyll and Hyde split between the new Port Adelaide Power and the old Port Adelaide Magpies - or was that the new Port Adelaide Magpies and the old Port Adelaide Power, with both haemorrhaging money.
The SANFL has now controversially voted to end the split and allow the two parts of the club to unite under one banner - a move almost certainly good for Port Adelaide but arguably the death knell for other SANFL clubs.
The AFL today announced that a North East Australian Football League (NEAFL) will be introduced in 2011, bringing together teams from NSW, Queensland, ACT and NT into one competition. The new league will build upon the successful existing competitions of AFL Canberra and AFL Queensland.
In 2011, Team GWS will join current AFL Canberra teams to form the Eastern Conference, comprising seven clubs. The Gold Coast Suns’ feeder team will combine with existing QAFL teams to form the Northern Conference, comprising 10 teams, including NT Thunder.