Welcome to World Footy News
Tuesday, August 20 2019 @ 12:18 pm ACST

The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Game Day 7 - Live Scores
Authored by: tinka13 on Wednesday, August 24 2011 @ 10:10 pm ACST

This is a very dissappointing result on the behalf of NZ. For the Irish to have 21 scoring shots to the Kiwi's 3, it really shows who dictated the game. This result is as dissappointing as the 2002 result! (I still feel it)I fully understand how difficult it can be to bring players from 4 different competitions in NZ and then mould them into a team, with little resources and money. The Irish and PNG teams have so much natural talent to pick from and are always hard to beat. All sides have to make difficult decisions on whether they bring older and stronger players or push for youth (as this is where most of the opportunities are), I also fully understand this.

In the next International Cup, I'd like to see it change to the AFL World Cup, with an Under 23 Amateur side entering from Australia. Who cares who wins, as I've said before, this will give all sides a benchmark to aim for and give the PNG, Irish and Kiwi's, some real competion! The International Cup, has served its purpose and been fantastic and the AFL and all the countries should be congratulated for growing this wonderful game. However, do we now have the courage to form a truly International Board (as the AFL can not always administer this comp for it to be considered seriously around the globe) or do we keep with the AFL for now? It's truly worth thinking about. If Aussie Rules Footy does go independent, we need to plan for it now! Good Luck NZ and to all the other countries on their remaining games.

[ # ]
Game Day 7 - Live Scores
Authored by: Brett Northey on Wednesday, August 24 2011 @ 10:38 pm ACST

Tinks I reckon NZ have a lot more kids coming through now, a second wave if you like, and they should bounce back in 2014.

Re independent board etc I've made my thoughts known plenty of times about where it should head short and long term so I'll leave that for others.

---
Brett Northey - Co-founder and Chief Editor of WFN
[ # ]
Game Day 7 - Live Scores
Authored by: RevoOldBoy on Thursday, August 25 2011 @ 01:29 am ACST

The US and NZ results, while disappointing for both teams to be sure should not be fully measured until we see the results of both the head to head match between the two plus the Ireland/PNG match.

As for a separate body for the governing of the sport internationally, until their are professional leagues in multiple other countries I feel its a moot point and the status quo should remain.

Although I do think the AFL should have an international advisory board from the IC teams if one doesnt already exist.

[ # ]
Game Day 7 - Live Scores
Authored by: Brett Northey on Thursday, August 25 2011 @ 10:19 am ACST

That pretty much sums up my feelings re whether there should be an independent body right now.  If it went independent right now, would the AFL still put in what they do now, and if not, what would the impact be, especially in South Africa and South Pacific, and to the International Cup?  Not good I would suggest.

---
Brett Northey - Co-founder and Chief Editor of WFN
[ # ]
Game Day 7 - Live Scores
Authored by: Michael Christiansen on Thursday, August 25 2011 @ 10:24 am ACST

I reckon that over the last 2-3 years, that the AFL has progressively exceeded expectations on the international front (in certain key areas).

It'd be naive to expect the AFL to exceed expectations in all areas - because any budgetted process will have compromises, and the AFL has had to build it's own internal hierarchies on the fly as well.

For the foreseeable future, that the AFL is now actually planning, and aiming to strategically grow the international dimensions with now very realistic outcomes in mind - compared to even 5 years ago when it could've been regarded as 'pie in the sky' stuff, and that the public and media are slowing starting to come around.

I'd suggest on that, the AFL has to be entrusted for the short to medium term at least.  That, and they have the money and the influence.

[ # ]