Welcome to World Footy News
Sunday, September 27 2020 @ 12:12 am ACST

The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Bold predictions at Women\'s Launch
Authored by: Peter Parry on Tuesday, August 16 2011 @ 05:48 pm ACST

I was at the AFL match between Adelaide and West Coast earlier this year when the Women's national football championships were in Adelaide.  At half-time highlights were shown as well as the state teams parade on the field.  All good stuff, though some of the highlights showed big hits and bumps that were effectively charging and seemingly serious injuries and there were some clearly injured players in the parade.   People in the crowd commented it'd be good if the Crows went in hard like the women.

My point is I wonder whether women's football has an even bigger future if there is modification of the rules.  Wouldn't this attract many of the women currently playing soccer and netball/basketball - if you could have all the skills but not be flattened by a hefty hip and shoulder?  Be interesting to see what the women currently competing in the international cup think.

In Ireland Women's Gaelic Football is huge in participation numbers and may one day rival the men's code.  But it does not have the bump unlike men's Gaelic football - and is probably a more fast slick version of Gaelic partly for that reason (also the ball can be picked directly from the ground unlike in men's Gaelic football).  I wonder if the participation rates would be that high if there was the bump?

Women's Rugby has participants but seems to hit a threshold of those willing to risk serious injury.  I fear that Australian Women's footy could hit a similar ceiling without at least some slight modification.

Anyway perhaps I'll be howled down for being discriminatory.  I am actually also in favour of minimising the bump in men's footy too - and glad to see the AFL rules committee has come a fair way in this regard for player safety.

[ # ]
Bold predictions at Women\\\'s Launch
Authored by: Michael Christiansen on Wednesday, August 17 2011 @ 09:56 am ACST

Solomons and Vanuatu do certainly look good things to debut at IC14 in mens, and Vanuatu in particular might be a chance in womens too.

re womens footy and mod'd rules, there was also the issue not long back about getting a mod'd jumper more suitable for girls/women.

[ # ]
Bold predictions at Women\\\\\\\'s Launch
Authored by: Brett Northey on Wednesday, August 17 2011 @ 12:44 pm ACST

Some even bigger predictions out of the International Development Forum held yesterday - full report to come.

---
Brett Northey - Co-founder and Chief Editor of WFN
[ # ]
Bold predictions at Women\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s Launch
Authored by: Rod Shaw on Wednesday, August 17 2011 @ 04:18 pm ACST

O'k Brett I'm interested............

[ # ]
Bold predictions at Women\'s Launch
Authored by: Brett Northey on Wednesday, August 17 2011 @ 04:51 pm ACST

Haha!  Tobie has a full report which I'll have up as soon as I've done two million other things.

---