Welcome to World Footy News
Friday, February 28 2020 @ 04:07 am ACDT

The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
IC11 Preview - All new GB Bulldogs pushing to achieve more
Authored by: kolja51 on Thursday, July 21 2011 @ 05:38 am ACST

I'm sorry if I offend anyone, it wasn't my intention. I'm sure everyone who dons this jumper will be proud to represent GB, but I was really thinking that this monstrosity was a joke. Sad to find out that it's actually not. As a designer I can make a case study about things that are wrong in this jumper by any design standards, and it's so easy to see that the Union Jack and Bulldog are done by someone who has a clue about design, and that other stuff is just thrown together in a hurry.

Anyway, even jumper design has an importance in a players performance. If you don't feel good in it (either by material or by design) you will not perform in full capacity as that will throw off your concentration, and even your opponent will have a extra topic for trash talking.

Good luck to GB, they might not be the best looking team, but might come home with a trophy.

[ # ]
IC11 Preview - All new GB Bulldogs pushing to achieve more
Authored by: Brett Northey on Thursday, July 21 2011 @ 07:16 pm ACST

Kolja how can you say you don't mean to offend anyone but then call it a monstrosity?!  I'd hate to hear you when you decide to be nasty on purpose!  Someone out there designed it.

For what it's worth, maybe it could be better, but I seriously think it will make not one single point difference to their performance.  It's still based on the Union Jack and they'll be proud to pull it on.

I know players have to be proud of their jumper but it's still the Union Jack.  Maybe there's some touchy feely people or designers who would feel less determined to play well but I just couldn't imagine even the slightest let down myself, not even some subsconscious thing..

---
Brett Northey - Co-founder and Chief Editor of WFN
[ # ]
IC11 Preview - All new GB Bulldogs pushing to achieve more
Authored by: Harley Vague on Friday, July 22 2011 @ 07:01 pm ACST

I'd be more worried about  the person who felt obiliged to put a dirty big red arrow pointing to the UK . If the Union Jack represents Britain what represents the UK ?

[ # ]
IC11 Preview - All new GB Bulldogs pushing to achieve more
Authored by: Aaron Richard on Friday, July 22 2011 @ 07:19 pm ACST

Well, you could argue that the Union Jack represents the UK (ie England/Scotland/Wales and Northern Ireland), but Northern Ireland's footy talent (ie the Belfast Redbacks) plays as part of the Irish Warriors, so therefore the Union Jack isn't 100% accurate either.  But I think that might be splitting hairs.

They don't call themselves the UK Bulldogs (which would be inaccurate), but rather the Great Britain Bulldogs, which refers to the island of Great Britain (basically the UK minus Northern Ireland).

[ # ]
IC11 Preview - All new GB Bulldogs pushing to achieve more
Authored by: Brett Northey on Friday, July 22 2011 @ 10:21 pm ACST

I do the maps Cos, so it's my arrow.  And for the life of me I can't work out what your point was.  If you can explain the question I'll try to answer it.

---
Brett Northey - Co-founder and Chief Editor of WFN
[ # ]
IC11 Preview - All new GB Bulldogs pushing to achieve more
Authored by: Brett Northey on Friday, July 22 2011 @ 10:24 pm ACST

Or is it what Aaron is talking about - do you feel it shouldn't point at the UK but instead GB?  In which case my answer would be it's pointing at the same thing, and as Aaron says, ARFLI gets first crack at any players in Northern Ireland.

---
Brett Northey - Co-founder and Chief Editor of WFN
[ # ]
IC11 Preview - All new GB Bulldogs pushing to achieve more
Authored by: Harley Vague on Saturday, July 23 2011 @ 11:07 am ACST

Just a light hearted attempt to deflect criticism away from the GB jumper which IMO will be fine full scale .Thanks for confirming the GB/UK arrangement .It's interesting how RU has GB operating under it's member countries .It'd be nice to see how a Scandavian , North American and a British isles teams would operate (but not in the IC)

[ # ]
IC11 Preview - All new GB Bulldogs pushing to achieve more
Authored by: Brett Northey on Saturday, July 23 2011 @ 02:39 pm ACST

Ok no worries.

Speaking of region rep sides, I'll still love to see an effort made to get a South American team to an IC.  I would've liked IC11 but oviously not going to happen, so how about 2014.  Will modest growth there should be enough players from Argentina, Chile and maybe Peru and Brazil to put together a squad.

---
Brett Northey - Co-founder and Chief Editor of WFN
[ # ]
IC11 Preview - All new GB Bulldogs pushing to achieve more
Authored by: kolja51 on Sunday, July 24 2011 @ 03:24 am ACST

Brett, I wasn't offensive to anyone in particular, to any person, I was just commenting the design, so I might be offensive to that design, or you can say that I don't like the taste of the designer's work, but I didn't say anything against person that designed it. Reading back, I still think the same, and when someone gives me a constructive criticism I don't feel personally attacked.

Maybe it's just me, but if I would be playing in that jumper I would keep thinking about it, therefore it would distract me from playing, but yes, that could just be for visual people, people that are design savvy.

One more time sorry if I offended anyone in person, I was only harsh to the design, not a designer, maybe designer just had a bad day.

[ # ]
IC11 Preview - All new GB Bulldogs pushing to achieve more
Authored by: Charlie Slim on Wednesday, July 27 2011 @ 07:18 am ACST

You are a muppet!!! You have no idea about what its like to wear a jumper and play with pride and passion...... no matter what it looks like!!

Jumper does look a bit messy but it symbolises the Scottish, Welsh and English aspect of the Great Britain Aussie Rules. There has been a big divide between the countries in recent years and this jumper was designed to ease that pain. Hence there is a Scottish thistle, Welsh dragon and English rose.

The Scots, Welsh and English all compete individually in the 9-a-side EU Cup but only come together for tournaments like the International Cup, EU Championships and one-off 18-a-side matches against opposition like Ireland, Denmark, etc

We have four guys in our squad who are from Wales and one from Scotland and I bet they are pumped to being able to play in a jumper that symbolises were they are from and how much they have sacrificed (money) just to get to Australia!!! Rather than just having a Union Jack on their...

List to the anthems of New Zealand, South Africa, etc and they incorpate different parts of their history and culture and sing in different languages... (South Africa has 3 Africains, Zulu, English) Would you say their SA's flag looks a bit ugly???

[ # ]
IC11 Preview - All new GB Bulldogs pushing to achieve more
Authored by: Goal Sneak on Friday, July 29 2011 @ 08:17 am ACST

once again speaking from a players perspective, regardless of the jumper style, whether an outsider likes it or not, there are literally hundreads of blokes in Great Britain who would itch to play for "Great Britain" and there are millions upon millions of people in the whole of the United Kingdom who will never get the chance to say "i represented Great Britain at a sport i love" so the fact you are being pathetic and criticising the way a jumper looks, well to be honest it just makes you less of a person im sorry to say.

i as a player wasnt first choice for the squad but i bust my ass off during season, down the gym and out in my back field training so that i could get a sniff at an oppertunity like this. i dont care what my jersey looks like, it could be pink with daisies and sunflowers on it as far as i care, its who im representing that counts, and thats GREAT Britain.

[ # ]