Welcome to World Footy News
Sunday, November 17 2019 @ 01:32 pm ACDT

The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
International clubs in AFL by 2032?
Authored by: Rory Slater on Monday, July 04 2011 @ 08:07 pm ACST

Brett I find it difficult to accept how ignorant you are to Canberra on so many levels for one so 'worldly'.

There has existed a campaign to have the AFL take Canberra seriously even before the Swannies were relocated to Sydney.

This campaign has continued only to be given the expedient treatment by the governing body time and again.

Your rhetorical quip re Canberra pollies is not original and smacks of prejudice from my perspective.  I along with many Austrlians call Canberrra home, a home as worthy of recognition and as integral and vital as anywhere in the country, culturally contributing to this community and this country we call Australia.

I have for long championed Tassie as a deserved AFL location for elite status however the bankers that run the governing body continue to expediently dismiss this strong footy heartland.  The ACT, albeit not of Tassies historical pedigree, are on a par in the footy stakes these days, however I would not want to see us leap frog them to this end.

So again, NZ being entertained in the same breath as the ACT, NT or most anywhere else in the country seems a contradiction on your part, (acknowledging a professed bias for that sovereign, non Australian Football, country), for the very same reasons you would endorse Tassie ahead of Canberra, albeit Canberra's footy cred is far more compelling over NZ  than Tassies is over the ACT.

Cheers Brett

[ # ]
International clubs in AFL by 2032?
Authored by: Rory Slater on Monday, July 04 2011 @ 08:26 pm ACST

It should not be the AFL's or it's supporters brief, to fund our code internationally, certainly NOT at the expedience of local footy demographics.

The USA have equivalent home brands these codes are played all over the world and any country is free to embrace them which they do with gusto.  I do not expect the NBA would subsidise any Australian whim to have a piece of the American elite pie at any local expense.

I don't believe NZ or any other country should be entertained in this respect either, not at the most esteemed tier the code offers which would be prematurely fake to be quite frank.  The only reason NZ are afforded this sort of privilege is geographical proximity and commercial potential, which is all very well however, since they have absolutely no footy cred of any significance in respect of Australian Footy, how can anyone advocate their presence in the AFL AHEAD of the many more deserving, long suffering and loyal demographics lining up for recognition.

I cannot be more succinct than that.

[ # ]
International clubs in AFL by 2032?
Authored by: Brett Northey on Monday, July 04 2011 @ 08:27 pm ACST

Nice try Rory.  Make it sound like I'm denigrating Canberra the city by saying your worthwhile Australians etc.  But clearly I keep pointing out that I'm sure it's a nice place ON A PAR with much of the rest of Australia, i.e. you're trying to elevate its status above others, I'm saying to many of us it's no better, no worse.

> Your rhetorical quip re Canberra pollies is not original and smacks of prejudice from my perspective.

Sorry Rory but it is not a dig at Canberra it's a dig at your overblown view of it.  It's one of many cities in Australia, yes it's the capital in political terms, but that hardly endears it.  I just don't think that's it's political status particularly pushes it ahead of Tasmania or Newcastle or Auckland.

---
Brett Northey - Co-founder and Chief Editor of WFN
[ # ]
International clubs in AFL by 2032?
Authored by: Brett Northey on Monday, July 04 2011 @ 08:29 pm ACST

As for the push for Canberra to get an AFL side, I'm just telling you what I've heard about it, which is not much.  Perhaps within Canberra's bubble it is better known.  Like I said, you'd better get out there and push it so the rest of the country knows.

---
Brett Northey - Co-founder and Chief Editor of WFN
[ # ]
International clubs in AFL by 2032?
Authored by: Brett Northey on Monday, July 04 2011 @ 10:03 pm ACST

Perhaps rather than focusing on why others do not deserve an AFL team, perhaps we can look at why you think Canberra does.  In terms of heritage (how old are the leagues, where have they stood in interstate comps, what are the great clubs), what kind of population base is there, what kind of allegiance do they have for footy versus other sports, are there local businesses like Ford at Geelong or what are the other options (these days most AFL clubs are indeed not geo located with their sponsor), has local government talked about supporting the long term goal, etc.

---