Welcome to World Footy News
Friday, November 15 2019 @ 06:07 am ACDT

The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
International clubs in AFL by 2032?
Authored by: Tobietta Rhyman on Monday, July 04 2011 @ 01:12 pm ACST

Hi Rory, just like to say that as a female player in Australia I do understand where you're coming from. There is a lot the AFL should be doing for grassroots football. However, I'm also from one of those "contemptuous" foreign countries, and I'l like you to recognise firstly that this site is for international footy fans, and secondly, that xenophobia and racism is practically the same thing. Grassroots, indigenous, women's or international development, if we want a real future for the AFL, let's kick racism out of footy!

---
Little Pommy Girl
[ # ]
International clubs in AFL by 2032?
Authored by: Rory Slater on Monday, July 04 2011 @ 02:15 pm ACST

Ta for the heads up little pommy girl.

Apols to have offended any PC sensibilities however to put my comment in context -

I certainly do not covet our indigenous game to any xenophobic extent however I do take exception to the governing bodies burgeoning obsession with globalising our code at the expedience of true domestic heartlands.

This is something we need to be very careful of as the games governing custodians, since we could well disenfranchise many of the loyal supporters as well as compromise what for many of us is an Australian cultural institution to this end, if managed purely from a commercial perspective.  For many of us this game is far more than simply a brand to grow based on any commercial criteria and that includes taking it off shore to a backwater i.e. NZ on a commercial whim and at the expense of the Nations Capital as one potential scenario.

I would have hoped that wfn had room for more 'insular' views on our game i.e. mine, rather than merely assuming the role of preaching to the converted and especially since they tout themselves as an 'international' forum. It should also be remembered that while our code may hold some international appeal, the game of Australian footy remains a predominantly domestic one, supported passionately by those of my persuasion, who without  it may well cease to exist.

I strongly advocate that the codes strength lies in remaining uni lateral, as opposed to pitting itself against those global codes by going head to head with League, Union or Soccer across the ditch.

[ # ]
International clubs in AFL by 2032?
Authored by: Brett Northey on Monday, July 04 2011 @ 02:43 pm ACST

We aren't stopping you from having an opinion Rory, although we will continue to keep a close eye on commenters being racist etc.  Although I think your xenophobia is clear what you've written has passed through okay in my view, although I disagree with you on many points, as we've endlessly debated elsewhere on this site so I won't bother again.

But I should think that continuously referring to NZ as a backwater does your argument and your credibility no favours.  Canberra has plenty of its own detractors, as does just about every city in the world depending on who you ask.  It'd be nice if people could argue their case by being positive about their own place rather than negative about someone else's.  Personally I've never been to Canberra, will do so one day, but it's a big world and I want to see most of it.  Been to Auckland and other North Island areas a couple of times, had a great time.

---
Brett Northey - Co-founder and Chief Editor of WFN
[ # ]
International clubs in AFL by 2032?
Authored by: Rory Slater on Monday, July 04 2011 @ 03:28 pm ACST

Brett

Canberra is the Nations Capital.

Australian Footy is the National and indeed indigenous code.

This evokes a powerful symbology culturally I would have thought, for the game in these parts, if nothing else.

I have also been to NZ and Adelaide on a number of occasions and although Auckland may well be a fine city it is a foreign city that cannot be compared to Canberra or Adelaide or any other Australian city in this context, i.e. to say in respect of any historical pedigree, status or cultural affinity it may or may not share with Australian Footy.

NZ have been very successful in gleaning membership of our elite sporting leagues at the expense of more worthy Australian demographics for along time now, so in that respect I don't see how my sentiments can be construed as xenophobic or otherwise irrational when it comes to the Indigenous code .

Would you be open to Wellington usurping either or both Adelaides AFL elite brands?  I know you are the consummate altruist Brett but surely blood is thicker than H20 at some point.

[ # ]
International clubs in AFL by 2032?
Authored by: Brett Northey on Monday, July 04 2011 @ 05:43 pm ACST

Every area is free to advocate for themself.  On a personal level I will always advocate for my hometown of Adelaide (but if Port can't make a go of Adelaide Oval then maybe their time is up, but I suspect they'll do okay).  Beyond that, I judge every case on its merits.  Football heritage is just one part of those merits.  On that basis I think Tasmania ranks highly in terms of next cab off the rank, so combined with a reasonable sized population and strong public advocacy I think they deserve a chance next.  I don't rank Canberra as highly in the heritage stakes - sure they have footy going well back, but not as far as Tassie, and far more mixed allegiance to other sports, nor do they produce anywhere near the number of AFL players Tassie do.

To be honest Rory, you're the only person I can recall consistently calling for Canberra to have its own AFL side.  The public campaign for Canberra, if there is one, is miniscule compared with Tassie.  Perhaps you need to look in your own backyard rather than trying to block others.  Is there a Canberra campaign?  Maybe you start one otherwise it will never happen.

As for the "Nation's Capital" argument, I'm afraid you might see that as a bigger plus than most people.  For many, Canberra is a place where the politicians do their arguing before returning to their electorates, other than that it's just one of the many nice cities across Australia.

---
Brett Northey - Co-founder and Chief Editor of WFN
[ # ]
International clubs in AFL by 2032?
Authored by: Tobietta Rhyman on Monday, July 04 2011 @ 05:53 pm ACST

Rory did you know there are many people who share your opinions, only about football spreading beyond it's traditional heartlands of Victoria, South Australia and Western Australia? I'm sure you could fully explain to them the importance of Australia's game being properly represented by every Australian state. And you'll be pleased to know that beyond boosting AFL match television audiences, the AFL puts hardly any funding into the development of the actual game overseas. And that's what most of us are here for. So if it's a point about where the money from the AFL's latest multi-billion dollar TV broadcast deal is going, we all hear you.

---