Welcome to World Footy News
Sunday, July 05 2020 @ 07:17 pm ACST

The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
AFL ponders lightning carnival to kick off Cup
Authored by: Harley Vague on Saturday, February 19 2011 @ 12:42 pm ACDT

I think the low number of voters would be put down to people leaving it to the actual clubs concerned to formulate a process .If I had a strong opinion as to why one option was best , then I would vote .

[ # ]
AFL ponders lightning carnival to kick off Cup
Authored by: Brett Northey on Saturday, February 19 2011 @ 12:51 pm ACDT

Fair enough.  Nice to know why some people hold off.

---
Brett Northey - Co-founder and Chief Editor of WFN
[ # ]
AFL ponders lightning carnival to kick off Cup
Authored by: sverik25 on Saturday, February 19 2011 @ 01:55 pm ACDT

Perosnally, I think the idea of having a lightning type carnival to decide the divisions is a great idea. Like Brett said, it gives all nations a chance to play against a variety of opponents before dividing them up into divisions.

Only problem I have is that some teams may "tank" matches during the lightning phase so that they end up in lower divisions in order to have a better chance of winning their division.

[ # ]
AFL ponders lightning carnival to kick off Cup
Authored by: Brett Northey on Saturday, February 19 2011 @ 04:14 pm ACDT

That's possible, but I'd be very surprised if any country would not give it their best shot to make division one.  I can't imagine countries like Canada or the US being happy to be Div 2 champions - I think they would be intent on trying to bust into the top 4.

---
Brett Northey - Co-founder and Chief Editor of WFN
[ # ]
AFL ponders lightning carnival to kick off Cup
Authored by: Michael Christiansen on Saturday, February 19 2011 @ 08:03 pm ACDT

I tend to think that as the game progresses further, if it can be done, then allow something like this lightning premiership first phase could be good - - given it's probably not really realistic to expect a more formal FIFA WC style qualification process or tennis style seedings.

The chance for the 'minnows' to taste action against some of the better nations I guess it would be unfair to deny that - - however, last time around we saw the Finnish lads battling hard as they lost players from a short list anyway - getting hammered first up by a much better Canada.  The longer such a game goes on, the sorer and more likely to get injured the players of a minnow side will be.  So, limit the damage early - footy being footy, the scoreboard rarely lies - so, we know the better sides will win.   And so, come the longer format games - the sides should be more evenly matched.  These guys are amateur after all - and some are MORE amateur than others!!!!  (i.e. PNG going forward is going to be far, far more 'rounded' footballers than an IC debutant Italy/Germany or TImor).

Although, looking at the PNG v Nauru game in 2008, up to half time a ripper of a game but PNG pulled away with better fitness in the 2nd half.  So, you might get the odd upset in a shorter game.

.....Daniel Harris put the Suns in front early days.  GWS got smashed by 79.

[ # ]