Welcome to World Footy News
Wednesday, July 08 2020 @ 05:28 pm ACST

The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Sheedy and GWS continue African-Australian search
Authored by: Aaron Richard on Wednesday, December 22 2010 @ 10:32 pm ACDT

I agree with Troy. Furthermore, in footy parlance it usually isn't the nickname of the resulting club:

TTU (Traralgon-Tyers United) Bombers
MDU (Meeniyan-Dumbalk United) Demons

Personally, I prefer Giants over United.

Sheedy and GWS continue African-Australian search
Authored by: Brett Northey on Thursday, December 23 2010 @ 01:49 pm ACDT

That surprises me, in 99% of cases I've heard United used in soccer circles. Maybe the Vic country occurrences are a localised usage.

I prefer Giants over United too. But then I liked West Sydney Wombats. Warriors would've appealed to the Polynesian community too I reckon. Giants is okay.

I think back to when the Adelaide Crows formed, and looking at the new logo there was a real sense of importance, as in they had to get it right, did it fit, does it sound okay, but within a few years it just kind of blends in as unimportant, i.e. once you support a team I don't think it really matters that much.

---
Brett Northey - Co-founder and Chief Editor of WFN

Sheedy and GWS continue African-Australian search
Authored by: Cam Homes on Friday, December 24 2010 @ 01:20 pm ACDT

A couple of amalgamations on the Eyre Peninsular here in SA went the "United" way but when you look around the mid north they went, BMW (Booleroo, Melrose. Wilmington)
BSR, (Bute, Snowtown, Redhill) there's another one BH? (Burra, Hallett, ?) I think. A while back Gladstone was called Gladstone Combine(a combine also being a big grain harvester), But when Gladstone merged with Laura they became Southern Flinders. "United" could be the way to go when amalgamations occur but not a real goer for even Western Sydney.

Sheedy and GWS continue African-Australian search
Authored by: Cam Homes on Friday, December 24 2010 @ 01:31 pm ACDT

Bulls might have been a good moniker too as the Sydney abattoirs were out that way in Western Sydney not all that long ago I believe. Slaughtermen might not have gone down too well tho':-)

Sheedy and GWS continue African-Australian search
Authored by: Aaron Richard on Tuesday, December 28 2010 @ 08:40 am ACDT

Some in Victoria became acronyms rather than XYZ United as well. Devon-Welshpool merged with Won Wron-Woodside to give DWWWW (aka D4W or 4WD ;). At one point they were calling themselves the East Coast Allies, but I can't remember if they still do.

About two years ago, a group of them broke away to form the Woodside and District Wildcats in a different league, but D4W haven't dropped the W for Woodside from their name.

Sheedy and GWS continue African-Australian search
Authored by: Joel Adin Porretta on Friday, December 31 2010 @ 12:05 pm ACDT

Nah they don't call themselves East Coast Allies anymore although they still retain the Allies nickname. And if your wondering the league Woodside play in it's the North Gippsland Football League, how do I know... well lets just say GO CHURCHILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!