Welcome to World Footy News
Saturday, November 23 2019 @ 07:47 am ACDT

The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
New Zealand take the Cup
Authored by: Sean Finlayson on Sunday, August 14 2005 @ 08:17 pm ACST
Congrats to NZ, their improvement is fantastic. I thought the PNG were more exciting to watch, with their running game of excellent pace and accurate handballing. They seemed to overpossess and fumble a lot going for the ball when it was in dispute, short kicking, inneffective tackling and reliance on taking chest marks were frustrating. Their delivery into the forward line at some times was fantastic, at others it seemed as though their forwards didn't know where they were supposed to be. PNG were certainly a crowd favourite and had a good turnup of fans. NZ on the other hand with their long and direct kicking game (albeit awkward kicking styles), leading into space and overhead marking was stronger and more effective overall.

That's the positives of the game, but I have to say that the overall promotion of the International Cup Grand Final as an event was poor at best. The doors opened literally as the game started, and with so many reserved seats for the Magpies and Blues, it forced International Cup spectators with the only general admission tickets left to the very back of the top tiers of the stands, which reduced the impact of the crowd. Most of the big game early birds arrived mid way through the final quarter. They didn't really know what was going on and didn't get into it, typified by one Collingwood supporter next to me kept yelling out "GO FIJI !". I heard a Carlton supporter on the other side of me saying "don't they play rugby in New Zulland ?". Obviously neither Collingwood and Carlton promoted the event to their members. The AFL should have got behind the concept much more than they did, perhaps even putting a bit of info in the Footy Record. Next time round, I hope this is an event in its own right rather than a token curtain-raiser, with the proceeds going to develop football overseas. If the AFL legends charity match can draw nearly 15,000 at the Telstra Dome, then surely an international event like this, with the right promotion from the right parites can do similar.
New Zealand take the Cup
Authored by: peter caldwell on Monday, August 15 2005 @ 06:13 am ACST

sean i have been a supporter of international footy for many a year, in heart not in money to broke, i am not surprised, the lack of support from afl even in my area. keep up the faith. friends i speak to don't even know of international footy and they are worse than me at being footy heads so i tell them, just keep spreding the word

---
pc

New Zealand take the Cup
Authored by: Brett Northey on Monday, August 15 2005 @ 08:38 am ACST

I intend doing a story summarising the good and the bad of the tournament, but without going into too much detail here, having seen the Cup first hand, I don't think the AFL did a bad job of promoting it. There was paid advertising, the draw went out in 10s of 1000s of AFL Records, Adrian Anderson's weekly press conference was held at the opening to force the media there, and there was reasonable media coverage in terms of print media articles, and I believe there were snippets on free to air TV and quite a bit on FOXFooty. The reality appears to be that the majority of Melbourne football supporters aren't interested if it isn't the top AFL level. Sure the AFL good do more, but they have other competing interests that want money. Anyway, I'll discuss my thoughts in more detail later.

---
Brett Northey - Co-founder of WFN, Chief Editor and Editor for North America and Africa

New Zealand take the Cup
Authored by: Brett McGeorge on Tuesday, August 16 2005 @ 10:37 pm ACST

Is there any word yet as to when a full replay of the match will be available either over the internet, on DVD or on Fox Footy? I was one of the Goal Umpires who umpired the Grand Final and it was an experience I enjoyed very much.

New Zealand take the Cup
Authored by: Helga Cunning on Wednesday, August 17 2005 @ 08:04 am ACST

Thank you to all those reporting on the games and providing us back at our respective homes around the world with match reports, photos and even audio and video clips. The World Footy News website has been a tremendous source of information on the entire tournament. Kudos to all involved. Great job and thanks again.