AFL England Ready for Start of 2018 Season
Friday, April 27 2018 @ 12:57 pm ACST
Contributed by: Wesley Hull
Footy has arrived for 2018 across England and Wales, commencing this weekend. AFL England has released the following press release to fire up the footy-loving public ahead of the first matches for the season proper.
London and Central & Northern England Leagues Kick Off This Weekend
April 26, 2018 – AFL England are looking forward to the start of the 2018 season ahead of the
opening weekend of fixtures. Both the AFL London and Central & Northern England leagues have
their first round of fixtures this weekend, ahead of an exciting ten rounds of competition.
Here are the defending premiers in each division, and their 2017 Grand Final results:
• Men’s Premiership – Wandsworth Demons 4.14.38 def. North London Lions 5.5.35
• Men’s Conference – Shepherds Bush Raiders 7.8.50 def. Clapham Demons 4.5.29
• Men’s Social – Wandsworth Demons 6.5.41 def. North London Lions 1.3.9
• Women’s Premiership – Wandsworth Demons 6.2.38 def. South East London Giants 0.1.1
• Women’s Conference – West London Wildcats 4.8.32 def. Wandsworth Demons 0.1.1
Central & Northern England
• Men’s Premiership – Manchester Mosquitoes 16.13.109 def. Nottingham Scorpions
• Men’s Premiership – Southampton Titans def. Sussex Swans
In the opening weekend of fixtures, the defending Men’s Premiership winners the Wandsworth
Demons take on the West London Wildcats, with the Wildcats fresh from their fourth consecutive
Champions League title earlier this month.
Other notable Round One fixtures include a rematch of the 2017 Men’s Conference Grand Final,
where the Raiders face the Demons, and a rematch of the inaugural Women’s Conference Grand
Final where the Wildcats face the Demons.
Moving slightly north and the defending Premiers the Manchester Mosquitoes have a bye in Round
One, meaning that the other four teams will battle it out. Last year’s losing Grand Finalists the
Nottingham Scorpions face up to the Huddersfield Rams.
The Southern England league kicks off on the 19th May. This year the Southern England league and
the Welsh league will be linking up with an inter-connected league structure. This will involve the
leagues running separately for league games, and combining for tournaments. Points from both the
league games and tournaments will decide the placings in each league, with these deciding who will
play against each other in the SEWARFL Grand Final.
Grand Final Dates
AFL London (Women’s Conference) & Central & Northern England – 4th August
AFL London (all other divisions) – 11th August
SEWARFL – 11th August